Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Crisis Averted?

I called the Peace Corps today to officially decline the Bangladesh assignment. It really was hard for me to do, since I have tried so hard and waited so long to get an assignment. I felt as if I had failed somewhere.

They told me that I had to write a letter to the Placement Office explaining my reasons, which I will do tonight. The good news is that we will be considered for other assignments. We are still officially in the pool of candidates, and the Placement officer said a single declination will not likely hurt our chances of getting another assignment- people apparently decline more than once. We won't be doing that. The next assignment we get, we will accept.

So, all we need to do now is wait again. Hopefully, we will get an invitation soon, and we may even get to leave in August still. I was dreading the possibility of not going at all, but it doesn't look like it will be that bad.

No comments: